I got this from Violet.
1. WERE YOU NAMED AFTER ANYONE?
When my parents were visiting my aunt during my gestation, they became aware of a little baby across the street named Kelly. They loved that name and abandoned plans to name me Maureen. My middle name comes either from my mother’s sister or from my father’s boyhood home of Cape Ann, depending on whom you ask.
2. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU CRIED?
I cried today very briefly. The students of my new class, all of whom face a great struggle just to keep mittens on their children’s hands in winter, took up a collection behind my back and bought me a Valentine’s Day gift. When they presented it, several of them came up to me and gave me kisses on my cheeks. So I was sandwiched between consecutive sets of kissing lips on either side. It was as if a gauntlet of affection were moving over and around me as I stood speechless.
3. DO YOU LIKE YOUR HANDWRITING?
No, I don’t. I have had to work hard to make it more uniform and legible since becoming a teacher.
4. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE LUNCH MEAT?
I’m not a big fan of lunch meat. On special occasions, I have been known to whip up a fig, prosciutto and blue cheese sandwich.
5. DO YOU HAVE KIDS?
Nope. No cat, no dog, not even a goldfish. No hubby, no kids, no noise, no expectations, no time to be home each evening. Well, lately the mallard quack for their morning and evening ration of scratch feed.
6. IF YOU WERE ANOTHER PERSON, WOULD YOU BE FRIENDS WITH YOU?
If I had a chance to get to know me, I probably would. I’m not everyone’s cup of tea, but I’m just the right kind of friend for a few.
7. DO YOU USE SARCASM A LOT?
Almost never. And when I do, I don’t pull it off well.
8. DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR TONSILS?
9. WOULD YOU BUNGEE JUMP?
Though I’m not afraid to, I see no attraction in it whatsoever.
10. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE CEREAL?
I like Dorset as well as Jordan’s Muesli. In winter I enjoy hot oatmeal. The best I’ve ever had was the steel cut oats with fruit compote at the Sheraton Centre’s 2nd floor bistro in Toronto.
11. DO YOU UNTIE YOUR SHOES WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OFF?
The only footwear I have with laces are my hiking boots. I’ve abandoned them since buying my first pair of Blunnies. I push one off with the toes of the other foot or use the entryway step like a boot jack. I also have clogs and mules, which are easy on and off.
12. DO YOU THINK YOU ARE STRONG?
13. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE ICE CREAM?
Snow cream. It brings back good memories from childhood.
14. WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU NOTICE ABOUT PEOPLE?
Whether they make eye contact and return my smile with a warm, authentic greeting.
15. RED OR PINK?
I like them both.
16. WHAT IS THE LEAST FAVOURITE THING ABOUT YOURSELF?
I wish I would move beyond caring so much what others think.
17. WHO DO YOU MISS THE MOST?
I’m not given to dwelling on what / who is not here now.
18. WHAT IS THE TECHNIQUE THAT YOU NEED TO WORK ON THE MOST?
I don’t understand the question.
19. WHAT COLOUR SHOES ARE YOU WEARING?
Today I was wearing my brown Blundstones.
20. WHAT WAS THE LAST THING YOU ATE?
Supper tonight was a couple of slices of 5-year-old Canadian white cheddar with poppy seed crackers and a marinated artichoke heart. The main course was Eddie’s vegetable corkscrew pasta (tricolour) with PC tomato basil sauce. It was my fabulous! I’ll definitely buy both products again.
21. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?
The furnace just kicked on. Geese are honking as they settle in for the night on the river outside my window. The keyboard clicks and clacks.
22. IF YOU WERE A CRAYON, WHAT COLOUR WOULD YOU BE?
23. FAVOURITE SMELLS?
I can’t stop sniffing my laundry soap. It’s Seventh Generation Geranium Blossoms and Vanilla. I also get caught huffing Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day lemon verbena. Actual smells in nature? A forest in the Pacific Northwest. Night blooming jasmine. Orange blossoms in Valencia, Spain. The ocean. Rain.
24. HOW IMPORTANT ARE YOUR POLITICAL VIEWS TO YOU?
More important to me is that I keep an open mind and listen. I do believe that we as a species are evolving and that if we can manage not to kill ourselves off first by damaging our host planet beyond repair, we will eventually arrive at a place of sustainability and harmony with all of creation—of which we are an inextricable part. I certainly don’t expect that to happen in my lifetime or even within the next 500 years…but I believe it’s theoretically possible. In the meantime, the ups and downs and shifts to the right and to the left are a natural part of the process. I am not too hooked by the drama of these micro shifts.
25. MOUNTAIN HIDEAWAY OR BEACH HOUSE?
Can I have one of each?
26. FAVOURITE SPORTS TO WATCH?
27. HAIR COLOUR?
L’Oreal natural blondest blond
28. EYE COLOUR?
29. DO YOU WEAR CONTACTS?
30. FAVOURITE FOOD?
What I’m blessed enough to be eating that day.
31. SCARY MOVIES OR HAPPY ENDINGS?
Anything that moves me deeply or makes me think and think for days after.
32. LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED?
Zero Dark Thirty. Or maybe it was Amour.
33. WHAT COLOUR SHIRT ARE YOU WEARING?
Dark blue. It’s the softest tee shirt I’ve ever worn and I can’t wait to crawl into it every day after work.
34. SUMMER OR WINTER?
Every season brings its own joys.
35. FAVOURITE DESSERT?
Quesillo de Venezuela
36. STRENGTH TRAINING OR CARDIO?
37. COMPUTER OR TELEVISION?
38. WHAT BOOK ARE YOU READING NOW?
No books at the moment. Slowly making my way through the current issue of the Shambhala Sun.
39. WHAT IS ON YOUR MOUSE PAD?
I don’t have one. Finger on laptop’s touch pad.
40. FAVOURITE SOUND?
I must not be very sound oriented. I don’t have one and have never thought about it.
41. FAVOURITE GENRE OF MUSIC?
Roots, delta blues, Bach, Sacred Harp
42. WHAT IS THE FARTHEST YOU HAVE BEEN FROM HOME?
Japan, east coast of Spain
43. DO YOU HAVE A SPECIAL TALENT?
I can master a foreign language quickly if I apply myself and have an opportunity to practice with native speakers.
44. WHERE WERE YOU BORN?
North Carolina, USA
45. WHERE ARE YOU LIVING NOW?
46. WHAT COLOUR IS YOUR HOUSE?
47. WHAT COLOUR IS YOUR CAR?
48. DO YOU LIKE ANSWERING 48 QUESTIONS?
Yes. And if you answer them, please leave a comment so we can come read your answers on your blog.